|Salary:||Up to £60,000 pa plus excellent benefits|
|Placed on:||14th December 2016|
|Closes:||9th January 2017|
|★ View Employer Profile|
Do you want to work for one of the premier centres of genomic discovery and understanding in the world?
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute leads ambitious collaborations across the globe to provide the foundations for further research and transformative healthcare innovations. Its success is founded on the expertise and knowledge of its people and the Institute seeks to share its discoveries and techniques with the next generation of genomics scientists and researchers worldwide.
We are now looking for a proactive, enthusiastic and highly motivated Legal Counsel.
You will be working for a cutting edge scientific and Research Company, at a fantastic Cambridge countryside setting, within a fast-paced dynamic environment. You will be joining the company at a key stage of growth and expansion.
- Qualified as a UK solicitor or barrister (or equivalent in other jurisdictions)
- Enthusiasm for the Institute’s charitable mission in scientific research
- Substantial experience of applying legal expertise to a wide range of business and legal problems in a complex and dynamic setting, including a period as an in-house lawyer
- Experience in intellectual property and/or IT law and in resolving issues around intellectual property, liability, warranties, indemnities, confidentiality etc.
- Commercially and financially aware
- Demonstrable ability to give advice that strikes an appropriate balance between risk and benefit and takes account of legal, tax and commercial considerations
- Strong communicator with a track record of advising and influencing coupled with the ability to analyse and respond to a diverse range of situations
- Demonstrable ability to present ideas articulately and to effectively convey legal concepts to non-lawyers
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people (from scientists and academics to finance and operational professionals)
- Strategic thinker who can take a considered view of risk and the broader implications of given approaches and courses of actions
- “Can-do” attitude focused on looking for solutions
- Positive, open-minded with a flexible approach
- Good understanding of charity sector
- Exposure to scientific research or pharma/biotech environment
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Trust Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), the Centre for Therapeutic Target Validation, a Biodata Innovation Centre and will soon host Genomics England Limited’s 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. It is an excellent environment in which to work and collaborate with researchers on campus and around the world and benefit from cross-fertilisation of ideas.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.