The W.G. Hart Legal Workshop is a major annual legal research event organised and hosted by the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies. Over the years this eponymous workshop series, subsidised by funds from the W.G. Hart Bequest, has focused on a wide range of comparative and international legal issues and topical interests.
The W.G. Hart Legal Workshop 2016 entitled: Valuing Expertise: Legal, Normative and Social Dimensions – will be held at the Institute from Tuesday 20 September 2016 to Wednesday 21 September 2016.
From expert evidence in the courtroom, to the use of scientific knowledge in the justification for, and framing of, legislation, law and science are inextricably intertwined. Yet the extent to which science is well represented in law has long been doubted by virtue of a ‘clash of cultures’ (Jasanoff 1992). The issue has become more pressing in recent years due to the growth of scientific and technological innovation, which draws into the adjudicative, legislative and policy realms areas of great scientific complexity for which legal expertise, in and of itself, proves insufficient (Vick 2004; Schrama 2011). Such work also highlights the significant barriers and obstacles for regulators understanding other disciplines and the problems that can result. The same dangers confront non-legal disciplinary experts that are drawn into, or whose work is ‘dropped’ in, the legal and political realms.
This workshop seeks to bring together a range of scholars, policy actors and others, whose diverse and innovative work addresses the complex meeting point of law and science, regulation and politics, evidence and epistemology.
- Professor Richard Ashcroft (Queen Mary University of London)
- Dr Nicolette Priaulx (Cardiff University)
- Professor Matthew Weait (University of Portsmouth)
Keynote and Plenary Speakers
- Professor Geoffrey Samuel (University of Kent)
- Professor Roger Cotterrell (Queen Mary University of London)
- Professor Barbara Prainsack (King’s College London)
- Dr Emilie Cloatre (Kent Law School)
- Professor Rob Evans (Cardiff University),
- Professor Jonathan Montgomery (UCL),
- Professor Stijn Smismans (Cardiff University)
- Professor Christina Boswell (Edinburgh)
Workshop sessions will include:
- Valuing Expertise: Legal, Normative and Social Dimensions;
- Clashing or Constitutive Worlds? The Relationship Between Science, Technology and Law;
- Measuring Expertise;
- Law, Risk and Expertise;
- Identifying Expertise: Voices That Matter;
- Law, Expertise and Behavioural Theory;
- EU Policy-Making and Expertise;
- Courting Expertise;
- Uses of Expertise: Empirical Investigations
REGISTRATION: For booking and online payments, please click here.
- Workshop Fees:
- Standard Rate: £120.00 for two days and £75.00 for one day.
- Concessionary Rate (for students, Workshop speakers and chairs, and SALS members): £70.00 for two days and £50.00 for one day
Please see the IALS Events Calendar for further information on Valuing Expertise: Legal, Normative and Social Dimensions (W G Hart Legal Workshop 2016), including the workshop programme.