BioNews Genetics Editor (Part-Time)
Progress Educational Trust
Job Location: London
Salary: £8,000 – £10,000 depending on experience / qualifications
BioNews is a free web and email-based digest of news and developments in assisted conception, human genetics and embryo/stem cell research. News articles are commissioned in-house, usually on a Friday (or otherwise towards the end of a working week). These articles, as well as commissioned comment pieces, are collated by the editorial team on or before Monday and published on the BioNews website. A collection of the week’s articles, as well as reviews, recommended events and reading and job advertisements, is published in newsletter form on Monday afternoons to BioNews subscribers.
We are looking for someone who is well-organised, self-motivated and who has excellent written and oral communications skills. The successful candidate will work as part of a small team in our London office. A BSc in a genetics-related subject and experience of researching, writing and editing articles for publication are highly desirable for this job.
Hours: 9.30am-5.30pm, initially two days per week, one of which must be Monday, with the possibility of three days after a probationary period.
Closing date: Monday 9 July.
Start date: Friday 3 August, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The main responsibilities for this position include:
- upholding standards of clarity and scientific accuracy in all genetics-related articles;
- researching, writing and editing articles on human genetics, assisted conception, stem cell / embryology and related areas of science/policy for BioNews and other publications;
- managing the internship scheme for trainee writers on BioNews, including selecting interns, teaching the internship course and providing both written and oral feedback;
- liaising with the team of BioNews volunteer writers and sending out links to news stories each week, with guidance if necessary;
- editing and proofreading stories submitted by BioNews volunteer writers and publishing them on the BioNews website;
- sending out the weekly BioNews email newsletters using our content management system.
For further enquiries and/or a full job description, please contact Sarah Norcross at snorcross [at] progress.org.uk or on +44 (0)20 7278 7870.
BioNews is published by the Progress Educational Trust, a UK charity based in central London. Its objective is to create an environment in which ethically sound research and practice in genetics, assisted conception and embryo/stem cell research will thrive. It seeks to achieve this by promoting education and informed debate.
How to apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter, together with a full curriculum vitae (to include the names of two referees), to Sarah Norcross at snorcross [at] progress.org.uk or at ‘Progress Educational Trust, 140 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8AX by Monday 9 July.