Applications may be submitted from 01-Dec-2009 until 01-Feb-2010
The Centre for the Humanities and Health at King’s College London has been created with the help of a £2 million Strategic Award from the Wellcome Trust and offers unparalleled opportunities to develop a wide ranging interdisciplinary interface between health sciences and the humanities. More information about the Centre and its strands of research can be found here.
The Centre invites applications for a PhD Studentship commencing in 2010. This studentship offers an opportunity to work within the DISTRESS AND DISORDER strand of research. This is led by Derek Bolton, Professor of Philosophy and Psychopathology in the Department of Psychology at the Institute of Psychiatry.The candidate will register for a PhD research degree in the Philosophy of Psychiatry. Aims and background of the Distress and Disorder strand of research and academic qualifications required for the studentship are given in the Further Particulars.
CONDITIONS OF THE AWARD:
The holder of the studentship will be expected to:
– Prepare and submit a doctoral dissertation in a timely fashion
– Prepare papers for submission to peer-reviewed journals
– Participate in and contribute to the research activities of the Centre
Information about the application:
Although the award only covers Home/EU fees, applicants from outside the UK/EU are also invited to apply for the studentship on the understanding that the difference in cost of tuition fee is payable by the candidate. The tuition fee for full-time international postgraduates is currently £11,700 per year.
Value of award:
Covers Home/EU postgraduate fees of £3,450 per year, and includes a stipend of c.£21,000 per annum (tax free), plus an annual travel allowance for attending conferences
The studentship is funded full-time for 3 years and may be held full-time or part-time, though not beyond the end of 2013. The award covers Home/EU postgraduate fees of £3,450 per year, and includes a stipend of c.£21,000 per annum (tax free), plus an annual travel allowance for attending conferences.
All applicants for the studentship must complete the following forms by the deadline of 1st February 2010.
1. The Wellcome PhD Studentship Cover Sheet. The Cover Sheet and Further Particulars can be downloaded from the bottom of this webpage. Please see below.
2. A current CV which should include:
– your full name with title
– education: degrees (subject, class, institution, date of award)
– other academic/professional qualifications (subject, level, institution, date of award)
– employment history, where relevant
3. Two academic references. References should be sent directly by email to Abi Matthewman at the address below.
Centre for the Humanities and Health,
Department of English,
King’s College London,
Tel: 020 78481405
Interviews will be held in February/March 2010
Application form here.